When I began book blogging nearly 10 years ago, I had no idea there was an entire community of equally obsessed book people out there. Over the years I have been introduced to books and authors I had never heard of. My reading has expanded and grown in more ways than I could possibly imagine. I am sure many of you can relate. Quite a few of the books I read have been recommended by book bloggers in one way or another, and about 98% of my wish list is made up of books recommended by them. Unfortunately, I am terrible at keeping track of who recommended what, even despite my efforts over the years to try to do so. Today, in honor of Book Blogger Appreciation Week, I thought I would share with you a few of the titles I have enjoyed over the years thanks to book bloggers and readers like you.
- My fellow book bloggers and mothers proved to be extra supportive during my early years of motherhood (and still are!). My friend Stacy from Stacy's Books not only recommended I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids: Reinventing Modern Motherhood by Trisha Ashworth and Amy Nobile to me, she also was kind enough to give me her copy. I found it to be funny as well as insightful.
- Athira of Reading on a Rainy Day gave me a push to finally read Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson. I now know what all the fuss is about.
- I never would have discovered this awesome trilogy if it weren't for Nancy of Bookfoolery. I have so much love for this and the two follow-up books.
- While my daughter was the one who gifted me with a copy of The Other Daughter last year for my birthday, it was because of Katherine of I Wish I Lived in a Library it landed on my wish list for my daughter to find. It was everything Katherine said it would be. I loved it.
- I found a hidden gem in When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin which came recommended by Amanda from A Patchwork of Books. Christian fiction is not my usual reading material, but this book touched me deeply.
- Most recently, my friend Caspette from Narrative Causality recommended the book, The Night Parade by Kathryn Tanquary, which I just adored.
- Sarah Waters is an author I only learned about after I began blogging. Although I have wanted to give her work a try, I never managed to do it. Until Jennifer hosted a Fingersmith Read-A-Long hosted by Jennifer of a Literate Housewife, that is. I really enjoyed being a part of the small group of readers reading such a modern classic. And I loved the book.
- It was also because of the Stand-along hosted by Trish of Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity that I finally got around to reading Stephen King's The Stand, which was a bit out of my comfort zone. The same goes for World War Z by Max Brooks (an amazing book!), hosted by Natalie of Coffee and a Book Chick.
I may never have read The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins or Leo Toltsoy's Anna Karenina had it not been for bloggers. I fell in love with The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and Chimamanda Ngozi's Half of a Yellow Sun, both books I discovered through blogging. I cannot even begin to name the number of books I have read that came from recommendations from you all. I cannot thank you enough for sharing your recommendations and bookish thoughts with me. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
As a final thought, because I can't help but share a little more book blogger love, here is a sampling of some of the recommended books on my wish list that I am very much looking forward to reading one day (oh, how I wish it could be today!):
- Cinnamon and Gunpowder by Eli Brown recommended by Andi of Estella's Revenge
- Science of the Magical: From the Holy Grail to Love Potions to Superpowers by Matt Kaplan recommended by Eustacia of Inside the Mind of a Bibliophile
- Winter Rose by Patricia Mckillip recommended by Lianne of Electictales
- The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand recommended by Lori Bree of Palmer's Page Turners
- Contract of Defiance: Spectras Arise Trilogy by Tammy Salyer recommended by Jenclair of A Garden Carried in the Pocket
- Blue Suburbia: Almost a Memoir by Laurie Albanese recommended by Kathy of BermudaOnion Weblog
- I Am China by Xiaolu Guo recommended by Melody of Melody's Reading Corner
- Charlotte's Story: A Bliss House Novel by Laura Benedict recommended by Samantha of Booked On a Feeling
- All that Followed by Gabriel Urza recommended by Beth F of Beth Fish
I would love to know what books you have enjoyed that came recommended by book bloggers. Let me know in the comments!
© 2016, Wendy Runyon of Musings of a Bookish Kitty. All Rights Reserved. If you're reading this on a site other than Musings of a Bookish Kitty or Wendy's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.