Book Review Policy
(as of July 23, 2013)
Welcome to Musings of a Bookish Kitty. My name is Wendy, aka Literary Feline. Musings of a Bookish Kitty is simply the place I come to talk about books and share other random thoughts. I strive to create an informal and friendly atmosphere where readers can commiserate, trade book recommendations, and discuss books and other bookish topics.
Reading is a passion of mine, but it is not my profession. My priority is my family, followed by my career (unrelated to reading and books). As a result, I read and blog when I can. I make no money and receive no compensation for keeping my blog up or writing reviews. I have my own stack of books to read in addition to any review books that may come my way. It is a continuous struggle to find a balance between the two.
I am accepting books for review consideration under limited conditions at this time due to time constraints.
What you need to know:
- I accept both e-books and print books, although at this time I prefer to review books in e-format (preferrably .mobi, but e-Pub will do).
- Sending me a book for review is no guarantee it will be reviewed on my blog.
- I accept books for review only when I think it will be a book I will enjoy reading. I read for pleasure and do not want reading to become a chore.
- I write only honest reviews of the books I read and review. I do my best to be fair in my reviews. When I do write a negative review, I try to find something positive to say along with the negative. I am a strong believer that while I might not like a book, it doesn't mean someone else will not like it.
- If I am unable to finish reading a book I have started, I will state so on my blog and list my reasons why.
- Because of other priorities in my life, I am not always able to get to books as quickly as I (or you) might like. I prefer not to read on deadline unless it's for a pre-arranged book tour. I need 3 to 4 weeks to prepare (read the book and write the review) for a book tour date.
- I cross post my reviews to GoodReads and LibraryThing as well as post links to my blog reviews on Twitter.
- If you are interested in contacting me, please e-mail me at literaryfeline[AT]gmail[Dot]com.
Genres I will consider for review:
Crime Fiction (mysteries and suspense/thrillers)
Science Fiction/Fantasy (urban, traditional and paranormal)
Young Adult (fantasy/paranormal only, please)
Types of books I WILL NOT consider for review:
ARC and Galley Copies: I do not sell the print ARC's sent to me. I sometimes do hold giveaways for the readers of my blog and will give away the ARC or review books sent to me. If this is a problem, please let me know ahead of time, and I will respect your wishes. E-galleys are deleted.
Disclosure: I review books I purchase myself, books borrowed from the library, and books given to me as gifts or on loan from friends and family. I also review books sent to me by publishers, publicists and sometimes authors. With each review, I include a statement providing the source from which the book was obtained.
Privacy: For giveaways, I often request personal information in order to contact the winners and send them their prizes. Any information provided by participants in the giveaway is kept completely private and is never sold or shared with a third party unless the party is involved in the giveaway by way of providing and shipping the prize in question. All personal information obtained for a giveaway is destroyed upon completion of the transaction.
Rating System: I no longer rate the books I read on my blog, however, I do rate them on Goodreads. I rate books on a 1-5 scale, with 5 being outstanding and a 3 being good. You can refer to my rating system here for further explanation. All ratings are subjective based on my enjoyment of a book. I take into account writing, characterization, the plot, setting and my over all feel for the book. The opinions expressed in my reviews and in the rating are strictly my own.
Thank you for taking the time to visit. If you have any questions drop me a line at literaryfeline[AT]gmail[Dot]com.