So, judging by last week’s answers, apparently the question I should have been asking was:
Where DON’T you read?
- When I was growing up, dinner was family time and bringing books to the table was a big no no. That did not mean I didn't try on occasion. You could often find me reading up to the point I sat down at the table and had to be told to set the book aside. With just my husband and I, we aren't quite so formal; however, if we have company or are eating out together, it's just polite not to pull out that book and read (Anjin and I have done it once or twice when it's just us--always with each other's permission so as not to offend the other--and that's usually because one or both of us is at a really good place in a book and just have to finish that chapter or section).
- The shower is not a very practical place to read. And as often as I try, I haven't been able to master reading while styling my hair or putting my make-up on.
- I do not read in a dark theater while enjoying a movie. My eye sight just isn't that good, frankly.
- I do not do much reading anymore when watching a television program I want to see. I used to try and fit in reading during the commericals, but I find that nowadays, I too often either cannot really appreciate the book because I am waiting for the commericials to end or I become so engrossed in the book I forget to pay attention to the television when my show comes back on. Besides, with the invention of TiVo and DVR's, the fast forward bottom on the remote comes in handy.
- Work . . . Well, I have to qualify this response by saying that I do no leisure reading while at work outside of my rarely taken breaks and my half hour lunch period. I actually do a lot of reading during work hours. Much of my job involves reading the reports of my employees. Trust me, it's not reading for pleasure.
- Other than signs, I do not read while driving (I do read sometimes if I'm stopped).
- I do not read in bookstores other than to browse through titles, maybe read the blurb on the back of the book, and a paragraph from the book to see if it's something I might like. You won't find me camping out in a lounge chair at Barnes and Nobles or stretched out on the floor at Borders or in the cafe of either store reading. There is no particular reason why not; it just never occurs to me to do any of those things.
- I do not read while shopping in general, other than tags and labels.
- I cannot read while I am sleeping. I have yet to figure out how to read my book when I am fast asleep. There have been plenty of times I end up cuddling with my book like it was a teddy bear because I can no longer stay awake. Anjin is very adept at sliding the book to safety when he comes to bed.